Davidson Farmers’ Market will kick off a new season of winter tailgate markets this Saturday, Nov. 5, when it hosts a Winter Market Chef Challenge – a sort of local food “Iron chef” competition.
The market also is promoting its winter schedule with a new poster, including an image by the winner of its winter market poster contest. Hannah Mills, a third-grader at Community School of Davidson, took the top prize with her drawing of a colorful owl.
Her winning artwork and other entries are on display for the next few weeks in the rotunda gallery at Davidson Town Hall. Davidson Town Hall is at 216 S. Main St., and is open weekdays during business hours.
The winter market hours are 9 a.m. to noon, with sales on the first and third Saturdays in November and December. From January to March, the market will be held on the second and fourth Saturdays of each month. The regular weekly markets return on April 7.
The Winter Market Chef Challenge will bring together five area chefs, who will will prepare meals using four mystery items to be unveiled when they arrive. Chefs will be allowed 10 minutes to shop for a bonus market item before they begin cooking. They will have 45 minutes to prepare their dishes and present them for judging. The day begins when chefs arrive at 8:15 a.m. and winds up with the announcement of the winning chef at 11 a.m. The winner gets a Community Market basket and bragging rights.
Competitors will be:
- Vera Samuels – Johnson & Wales graduate, personal chef and DFM Demo Chef – http://cookingwithvera.com/
- Wes Choplin – Choplin’s Restaurant, Cornelius and DFM Demo Chef – https://sites.google.com/site/choplinsrestaurant/
- Joe Kindred – Rooster’s Wood-Fired Kitchen, Charlotte and DFM Demo Chef – http://roosterskitchen.com/
- Andres Arboleda– Flatiron Kitchen + Taphouse, Davidson and DFM Demo Chef – http://flatirononmain.com/
- Adam Spears – Johnson & Wales graduate and Chef Charles Catering – AMS231@students.jwu.edu
“We want to keep the Market fun and exciting as we head into the winter season,” said Courtney Spear, Market Manager. “Eating in season is still delicious and our Winter Market Chefs are going to demonstrate that. These chefs are very talented and we are thrilled they are committed and ready for the challenge!”
For more information on the Market, farmers and upcoming events and to sign up for the weekly email newsletter, visit www.davidsonfarmersmarket.org/newsletters or www.facebook.com/davidsonfarmersmarket.