Posted on 29 November 2013.
|SHOP HERE, WIN A $25 GIFT CARDTo encourage shopping in Davidson on Small Business Saturday, weekend the town is staging a contest for those with the most receipts from local businesses this weekend. Bring your receipts to Community and Economic Development Manager Kim Fleming at Town Hall on Monday, Dec. 2. She’ll give away a $25 Davidson Visa gift card to the person who spends the most money in Davidson on Small Business Saturday. Meanwhile, Davidson Visa gift cards also will be available throughout the campaign at Town Hall.
By DAVID BORAKS
This weekend is nationwide Small Business Saturday, and what better place to celebrate than Davidson, where shops and restaurants have grown in number and variety over the past 20 years? Beginning Saturday, the Town of Davidson and DavidsonNews.net will be promoting the idea that you should “Turn Around, Shop in Town,” at locally owned small businesses, from South Main Square to Main Street to the Exit 30 area.
A few shops here are longtime fixtures of the local economy. For 20 years (or more) we’ve had Main Street Books, The Village Store, The Soda Shop, Ben & Jerry’s, the Davidson Village Inn and Raeford’s Barber Shop. Flatiron Kitchen, Summit Coffee and many others have come more recently. South Main Square has blossomed, with restaurants, a specialty beer store and even a violin shop. And the Exit 30 area, which town officials have dubbed Circles at 30, has developed over the past half-dozen years, with doctor’s offices, cleaners, shoe and clothing stores, a grocery and restaurants. Read the full story
Posted in Business, Downtown & old Davidson, Exit 30 area, South Main Street, The Economy, Town Hall
Posted on 27 November 2013.
Trees on the Village Green and along Main Street are decorated for the holidays. Christmas in Davidson is coming Dec. 5-7. (David Boraks/DavidsonNews.net)
Downtown Davidson is beginning to put on its holiday accessories, and there’s a long list of holiday events coming up. Here’s a partial list below. You can find a full list of 2013 holiday activities in our Events Calendar.
And don’t forget, Davidson and other local government offices are closed Thursday and Friday this week for the Thanksgiving holiday. See a list of holiday closings in the Events Calendar.
- Davidson College Holiday Gala performance – Tuesday and Wednesday, Dec. 3-4, 7:30pm, Duke Family Performance Hall. This is the first of what college organizers hope will become a holiday tradition in Davidson, featuring performance of holiday favorites and even singalongs, featuring college choral and musical ensembles with help from the Davidson Community Players and Dance Davidson. Details on our Events Calendar.
- 2013 Christmas in Davidson – Thursday Dec. 5 to Saturday Dec. 7, 6-9pm, downtown Davidson. with performances, a food court, and shopping along Main Street in downtown Davidson. The annual festival, which draws thousands to Davidson, will be Thursday to Saturday nights from 6-9pm. For more information on Christmas in Davidson, including a listing of everything going on each night, please visit www.christmasindavidson.com or pick up a program at Town Hall. See more in our Events Calendar.
- Davidson Community Players “Miracle on 34th Street” – Dec. 5-22, Armour Street Theatre, 307 Armour St., Davidson – The theater company presents a radio play on stage, based on the classic film. Features a single mother and her daughter who wonder if a department store Santa might be the real Mr. Claus. Complete with sound effects and cleverly scripted commercials, transforming the theater into a radio studio. Details in our Events Calendar.
- YMCA Breakfast with Santa - Saturday, Dec. 7, 8:30-11am, Lake Norman YMCA, 21300 Davidson St., Cornelius – The public is invited to enjoy a hot breakfast, crafts, music and more at this annual event. All children will have the opportunity to visit with Santa and have their picture taken. See the Events Calendar for details.
- 2013 North Mecklenburg Christmas Parade – Saturday, Dec. 7, 1pm, NC 115 from downtown Davidson to downtown Cornelius. See more on the Events Calendar.
- Thistledown Tinkers Celtic Christmas - Sunday, Dec. 8, 3pm, St. Alban’s Episcopal Church, 301 Caldwell Lane, Davidson – A holiday treat of traditional Celtic music with dynamic energy and Southern style with the Thistledown Tinkers.
- Christmas Vespers at DCPC – Sunday, Dec. 8, 7:30pm, Davidson College Presbyterian Church Sanctuary, North Main Street and Concord Road, downtown Davidson – The college’s annual Christmas Vespers concert of sacred lessons and carols with the Davidson College Symphony Orchestra, the Davidson College Chorale and the Davidson College Brass Ensemble. Free.
- Dance Davidson Christmas Spectacular – Dec. 22, 2 and 6pm, Davidson College Duke Family Performance Hall. Dance Davidson presents its winter dance concert, “Christmas Spectacular,” featuring intermediate and advanced students from the local dance school. With excerpts from “The Nutcracker” & Radio City Rockettes.Info: DanceDavidson.com
PHOTOS OF THE DAY
We’re looking for photos that capture the people and places that make Davidson what it is. It could be a pretty picture from an event, a youth sports team photo, a pet, a quirky wildlife photo or an oddity. Send ‘em to us (email@example.com) and we’ll consider them for publication.
Requirements: Send us whatever you have – color or black-and-white JPGs preferred. If you have the ability to do so, we ask that you resize photos to not more than 600 pixels wide. That box on the front page of the site is exactly 595 pixels by 270 pixels, if you’re able to crop yourself. But you needn’t be limited to that size. Unlike our previous banners, with Photo of the Day, we can take any shape.
Wondering if you have something worthy? Call (704-896-0569) or email at the address above. And thanks for joining us! See previous photos of the day, CLICK HERE»
Posted in Calendar, Davidson College, Downtown & old Davidson, Life in Davidson, Photo of the Day
Posted on 22 November 2013.
Posted in Calendar, Davidson College, Life in Davidson