By DAVID BORAKS
The forecast calls for sun, and you won’t have to look far for something fun to do in Davidson this weekend. Thousands of visitors and town residents are expected for a variety of events:
April Is for Arts continues with the two-day Art on the Green festival on the Village Green Saturday and Sunday, and the season-opening Concert on the Green Sunday evening. Meanwhile, it’s a special Earth Day edition of the Davidson Farmer’s Market, and there’s a free outdoor concert at Hopewell Baptist Church Saturday night.
ART ON THE GREEN
Art on the Green is Davidson’s largest annual arts festival, bringing thousands of citizens and visitors to Davidson’s Main Street and town green on Saturday, April 26 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Sunday, April 27 from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
This juried art show spotlights many of the region’s finest artists in a weekend-long celebration. Mark it on your calendar! More than 50 artists from the Lake Norman region and state, Virginia, Texas, Arizona and Maine will be joining us to showcase and sell their creations in all types of media: sculpture, watercolor, photography, wood, glass, ceramics, etc.
The Davidson Green School and Community Arts Project will be providing art activities for children both days. Patrons can stroll around the green to enjoy amazing art from a wide variety of talented regional artists, listen to live music, and enjoy local cuisine.
DAVIDSON FARMER’S MARKET AND EARTH DAY
On Saturday, from 8am to noon, Davidson Farmer’s Market makes its weekly appearance on the market ground next to Town Hall, 216 S. Main St. The market is a year-round producer focused market specializing in produce, meats, cheeses, honey, and other local foods from nearby farmer’s and vendors.
This week’s market includes an Earth Day Fair, hosted by The Town of Davidson and Green Davidson community group. It runs am to noon. It includes:
• A Bike/Walk to the Market Challenge — if you travel ‘carbon free’ to the event you can earn a Farmer’s Market “Buck.” Please stop by the Green Davidson booth for your prize.
• Getting started with backyard chickens, sponsored by the Davidson Green Center/School
• Cooking with the Sun — see a solar power oven in action and sample a cookie.
• Recycle It! Mecklenburg County Wipe Out Waste – learn about recycling, hazardous waste and more. Don’t forget to guess what new item can be recycled!
• Compost at home: Visit with hungry worms and find out how they can reduce the amount of waste sent to landfills. Three types of composting will be discussed.
• Children’s activities: Earth Day fun with Davidson Lands Conservancy’s World of Wonder, green arts and crafts, face painting, and more.
HOPEWELL CONCERT ON THE CORNER
After Saturday’s Art on the Green, head out to Hopewell Baptist Church in East Davidson, for the third annual Concert at the Corner, a free community concert, on Saturday, April 26. The concert runs 5 to 8pm at the church baseball field, at Davidson-Concord and Barnhardt roads.
The Second Chance Band and the Coca-Cola Inspirational Praise Band will perform. They’ll have lots of other fun, including food (Toby & Sons Hot Dogs), face painting, kids’ activities,
The concert is free. Hopewell Baptist is at 18841 Davidson-Concord Road in Davidson.
CONCERT ON THE GREEN
Downtown Davidson’s popular Concerts on the Green series returns for 2014 on Sunday, April 27, from 6-8pm with the traditional season opening performance by Davidson College Symphony and Jazz Ensemble. The show is on the Davidson library stage. Bring a picnic or purchase food from our local restaurants that will be open that evening.
See more weekend events in our Events Calendar, in The Guide.