Updated Wednesday, 3:55pm
Schools across the area were closed Wednesday and many churches, organizations and businesses also have postponed or canceled events and services because of snow and. Town services, such as trash pickups, are canceled, and CMS announced that schools would be closed again Thursday. Here’s our list. Check back for updates.
NC Department of Transportation said Wednesday afternoon that road conditions were “rapidly deteriorating.” As of 2:15pm, I-277 in Charlotte was shut in both directions near Independence Boulevard, and eastbound traffic on Independence Boulevard was blocked. Officials also closed the flyover ramp from I-77 South to I-485 Outer (Exit 2) until further notice. Motorists can take the Inner Loop to N.C. 49 (Exit 1), then turn around to access the Outer Loop. Find the latest state road conditions at ncdot.gov.
Duke Energy said Tuesday afternoon it has begun moving crews into the area in anticipation of snow, sleet and ice. Duke said 150 workers are coming from the company’s Midwest operations to Greensboro, and another 250 are coming from Florida, staging in Florence, SC.
“Today’s flurries appear to be just an ominous appetizer for the main blast of winter weather scheduled to arrive tomorrow and into Thursday,” Jeff Corbett, senior vice president of Duke Energy’s Carolinas Delivery Operations, said in a press release Tuesday. “The severity and impact of the storm depends on several factors, including temperature and wind. But the clouds are gathering and we are prepared for whatever comes our way.”
EnergyUnited, which has about 7,000 customers in areas south and west of downtown Cornelius and areas north and east of downtown Davidson, said its crews were gearing up for the storm as well. The utility said members may obtain up-to-the-minute outage information at the storm center on EnergyUnited’s website (energyunited.com.)
SCHOOL OTHER CLOSINGS
- Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools canceled Wednesday classes and then on Wednesday afternoon announced it also was canceling classes for Thursday, Feb. 13. April 14 is the makeup day.
- Republic Services has canceled all Cornelius trash pickups for Wednesday as well as Town of Davidson trash pickups.
- Cornelius Town Hall is closed through Thursday.
- Mooresville town offices and facilities closed Thursday. All non-emergency services will be closed.
- Our Town Cinemas in Davidson will be closed Wednesday. Check back for updates on their Thursday schedule
- Charlotte Area Transit System is posting route changes and detours on its website,RideTransit.org
- Amtrak has canceled train service in the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast. “The suspension in service is designed to maintain service on most routes while reducing exposure of Amtrak passengers, crews and rail equipment to extreme weather conditions,” the railroad said. The cancellations include the Carolinian trains 79 and 80 in North Carolina, the Silver Service Train 91 and 98, The Palmetto Train 89 and 90, and the Auto Train 52 and 53.
- Mt. Zion United Methodist Church in Cornelius has canceled most activities for Wednesday, including Babygarten, Sonshine Preschool tour, Dave Ramsey FPU Class, Children’s How Great Thou Art Class).
- Mooresville town offices, recreation centers, the Charles Mack Citizen Center and Mooresville Public Library will be closed on Wednesday. Public Safety personnel are asking people to stay off the roads to stay safe.
- Lake Norman Chamber of Commerce postponed the Lake Norman/Mooresville chambers’ joint Business Mixer that had been scheduled Thursday, Feb. 13, at noon, to Thursday, Feb. 27, at noon, at Kearey Builders, 218 Grasshopper Loop, Mooresville.
- Temple Kol Tikvah on South Street in Davidson will be closed Wednesday. “Learn, Kibibitz & Nosh and Mah Jongg are canceled.
- Davidson United Methodist Church has postponed Wednesday’s planned pre-school tour to Monday, Feb. 17 at 9:30am in the sanctuary.
- Lake Norman Transportation Commission’s Wednesday night meeting at Davidson Town Hall has been canceled. No new date has been announced.
- City of Concord garbage, recycling, and bulky waste pickups began Wednesday, but Waste Pro will not be able to complete collection for all of today’s customers because the landfill has closed for the day in anticipation of winter weather. Collections will resume when possible. Leave carts and bulky waste at the curb until collected, which may take one or two days. Crews are continuing to collect yard waste, and will do so as long as possible Wednesday. Concord Rider Transit will not be in service Wednesday, Feb. 12. Updates about Thursday’s service will be available at < a href=”http://www.ckrider.com/” target=”_blank”>wwww.ckrider.com or via the customer service phone line at 704-920-7433. Other Concord closings are available at concordnc.gov
- Davidson College’s men’s basketball game at The Citadel, which had been scheduled Wednesday, has been move to Monday, Feb. 17, at 7:05pm, because of the weather and potentially hazardous travel conditions.
- Davidson Parks & Rec has postponed Wednesday’s Davidson Senior Scholars program on “A Day in the Life of the White House’s National Security Council” with Russell Crandall, associate professor of political science at Davidson College. New date TBA.
- The Davidson Town Board canceled its 6pm regular meeting Tuesday night. The 4pm “pre-meeting” is still on.
- City of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County government offices are closed Wednesday, Feb. 12, 2014, for non-essential personnel. Essential personnel should report as directed by their supervisors.
- Community Blood Center of the Carolinas has issued an urgent plea for blood donors, especially after the storm passes. CBCC anticipates losing approximately 700 units of blood from scheduled drives that could be canceled in the coming days due to the winter storm. Info: CBCC.us
- MOORESVILLE GRADED SCHOOL DISTRICT – No school for students. It’s an optional teacher work day.
- CABARRUS COUNTY SCHOOLS – Closed Wednesday, with a makeup day Saturday, Feb. 22, when schools will dismiss early.
- IREDELL STATESVILLE SCHOOLS – Closed for students, optional teacher workday.
- KANNAPOLIS CITY SCHOOLS – Closed for students, optional workday for staff. Makeup day Friday, March 28.
- Woodlawn School – closed
- Community School of Davidson – closed, makeup day to be announced.
- Pine Lake Prep – Closed
- Lake Norman Charter School is closed on Wednesday and Thursday. The 2014-2015 school year lottery will be held on Friday, Feb. 14 at 4pm. Please check the website at www.lncharter.org for the most up-to-date information.
- Dance Davidson – Studio closed Wednesday.
- Davidson Community Players Wednesday night open auditions for “42nd Street” have been rescheduled to Saturday, Feb. 15, at 6-9pm, at Community School of Davidson High School, 404 Armour Street, Davidson.
HAVE CANCELLATIONS TO ADD, OR PHOTOS TO SHARE?
Add below as a comment, or send to firstname.lastname@example.org.