Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools dismissed schools 2 hours early Tuesday because of the threat of snow, and all after-school activities also were canceled, the district said at midday. Meanwhile, we have a list of other cancellations as well.
The National Weather Service has a Winter Weather Advisory out for the region, effective until 9am Wednesday. The forecast called for snow Tuesday afternoon and Tuesday night with possible accumulation of 2 inches overnight. The low temperature could be around 19.
N.C. Department of Transportation crews began preparing for snow at midday Tuesday. Officials said they’ll have more than 30 DOT trucks and 63 contract trucks available for plowing. Crews already treated area roads, bridges and overpasses with salt brine on Monday night, in advance of the storm. Travel info: www.ncdot.gov/travel.
That made for a mix of road conditions at rush hour Tuesday. State highways were mostly clear, while snow and ice accumulated on secondary and town-maintained roads.
OTHER CANCELLATIONS OR CLOSINGS
Have other closings or cancellations to share with your neighbors? Add them in a comment below or send to email@example.com.
- DAVIDSON TOWN BOARD – The board’s 4pm “pre-meeting” and 6pm work session are postponed. The meetings are re-scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 4, starting at 4:30pm at Town Hall.
- ST. ALBAN’S EPISCOPAL CHURCH – The Mental Health Forum scheduled for Tuesday night has been canceled. Church officials say they will reschedule.
- DANCE DAVIDSON – Classes canceled Tuesday afternoon and evening.
- COMMUNITY SCHOOL OF DAVIDSON – School was dismissed at 11:30 for all grades. Classes will begin late, at 11am on Wednesday.
- IREDELL STATESVILLE SCHOOLS – Elementary schools were dismissed at noon, middle and high schools were scheduled to close at 1pm. No afternoon or evening activities.
- CABARRUS COUNTY SCHOOLS – All schools were dismissed early, 10:30am for early start schools, 11;30 for those that begin at 8:15am, and 12:30 for those schools that begin at 9am. All evening activities canceled, and after-school childcare closed.
- LAKE NORMAN CHARTER SCHOOL – All high school and middle school after-school activities canceled.
- MOORESVILLE GRADED SCHOOL DISTRICT – Mooresville Graded School District dismissed all middle and high school students at 1:30, elementary and intermediate schools closed at 2:30. All after-school activities canceled.
- WOODLAWN SCHOOL – Closing at regular time, but after-school programs, including After Care, are canceled.
CHARLOTTE MECKLENBURG SCHOOLS
Here’s the alert just in, received 11:40am
Good morning, this is an important message from Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. A winter storm is expected to come through the Charlotte-Mecklenburg area today, bringing snow to our region. District leaders have been working with local weather and police officials to monitor weather and road conditions.
With safety at the forefront of our decision-making, we have decided to close schools two hours early today, Tuesday, Jan. 28. All buses will run routes two hours earlier than the normal time.
An early dismissal schedule means:
• All after-school and athletic activities are canceled. This includes open house sessions.
• ASEP staff will remain at sites until all children have been picked up. We urge parents to please pick up children as soon as possible.
• Lunch will be served at all schools.
• No make-up day is necessary.
CMS staff will continue to monitor road and weather conditions. We will communicate any decisions about tomorrow’s schedule this evening.