Martha Cooke Jenkins, a life-long member of
The program is hosted by the Davidson Historical Society.
Jenkins is author of the recently published history of the church, “Marching to Zion.” Copies of her book will be available for purchase.
Organized in 1827, Mount Zion United Methodist Church served the greater Cornelius community as the only Methodist church for 80 years. Originally located off Catawba Avenue on land now occupied by the Magnolia Estates neighborhood, the church moved to its current location in 1835.
The church became the very foundation of Cornelius, as well as Davidson and Huntersville, from its spiritual support to providing a school in the late 1800s. An Old Soldiers Reunion was held on the church’s front lawn for over 50 years, providing a meeting place for soldiers from The Civil War thru WWII. There are over 3200 church and community members buried in the church cemetery, including 51 Civil War soldiers.
This program is free and open to the public. More about the church at MtZionUMC.net
Find out more about the Davidson Historical Society on its website, http://www.davidsonhistoricalsociety.org/