Problems on Gilead Road in Huntersville are getting worse before they get better. With the road already closed in one location, a four-foot wide sinkhole opened Tuesday morning in another spot – at the intersection of Bud Henderson Road. Meanwhile, other roads around the area remain closed because of damages from flooding during the recent heavy rains.
Firefighters from Huntersville Station 2 responded to a call at 6:35am Tuesday to meet a citizen reporting trouble on Bud Henderson Road. They found a large sinkhole on Bud Henderson, near Darblay Street.
“The sinkhole spanned the entire width of Bud Henderson and was 4 feet wide,” according to a Huntersville Fire Department advisory. Huntersville Public Works officials decide to completely shut Bud Henderson Road.
NC DOT ISSUES AN ALERT
The N.C. Department of Transportation said Tuesday’s it’s assessing damage to several roads in Mecklenburg, Cabarrus and Stanly counties because of rains.
“Each case presents its own unique set of challenges for maintenance and bridge forces, and some areas cannot yet be assessed until water levels recede,” the DOT said in a statement.
Here’s a list of the affected roads:
- Gilead Road is closed at McCoy Road in Huntersville. A pipe failure has caused the roadway to sag several feet. A detour has been marked.
- Bud Henderson Road is closed west of Gilead Road in Huntersville. A sinkhole has formed in the pavement due to possible pipe failure. Huntersville fire officials say they’ve worked out detours for emergency responses in the area.
- Autumncrest Road is closed in Huntersville due to a washout.
- An old wooden bridge is damaged on McAuley Road, a gravel road that connects Davidson-Concord and Huntersville-Concord roads. Fire units also have plotted detours here in case of emergencies.
- Eastfield/Harris road is closed between Fairwoods Drive and Poplar Tent Road, in east Huntersville.
- John White Road is closed between Cal Bost Road and Flowes Store Road East in Midland. A pipe failure washed away shoulder and asphalt, exposing some utilities;
- Walker Road is closed between N.C. 49 and Mount Pleasant High School in Mount Pleasant. A pipe failure has exposed an unsupported tunnel under the roadway;
- Zion Church Road is closed at Flowes Store Road west of Mount Pleasant. An end section of pipe has collapsed, causing pavement failure;
- Harris Road is closed between Poplar Tent Road and the Skybrook subdivision. A section of pipe has been crushed, causing damage to the shoulder and travel lane; and
- Bowman Barrier Road is down to one lane between Hahn Scott Road and Long Run Farm Road in Mount Pleasant. A possible pipe failure is reportedly causing voids underneath the asphalt.
- Nelson Mountain Road is closed near N.C. 73 west of Albemarle due to a pipe collapse;
- Pole Running Road is closed north of Locust due to debris collection below the bridge structure. Part of the travel lane and shoulder have also been damaged;
- Bridgeport Road is closed northeast of Oakboro, as floodwaters have washed away the bridge railing. Current water levels will not allow access to make repair assessments; and
- Fink Road is closed at Austin Road west of Albemarle due to a structure failure.
July 1, 2013, “Lightning-sparked fire damages house in Bailey Springs”
June 30, 2013,
“After the storm: closed roads, fallen trees and a cleanup”