By ANNE VARI
Davidson Elementary School‘s annual Math Fair on Jan. 29 attracted a fascinating array of entries, with topics ranging from video games to candy to allowance. We have more about that, along with winners’ names below. Also in the news, some perfect scores for Davidson Elementary Math Olympiad competitors, and a list of upcoming school events, including Monday’s holiday and a Hough High musical.
MATH FAIR TOPICS ARE WINNERS
Where else but the Davidson Elementary Math Fair could you find projects on the mathematics of allowance, cooking, interior design, porcupines, Girl Scout cookies, Tootsie-Pops, and the Minecraft video game? This year’s fair, held Jan. 29, featured projects by 136 students in grades 3-5. Projects showcased traditional mathematical topics such as measurement, probability, data analysis and geometry as well as the more esoteric subjects above.
Judges included Davidson College professors, CMS officials, and Davidson community members. First through third place awards and honorable mentions were given at each grade level. The first and second-place winners at each grade level will advance to the Western Region Math Fair at Appalachian State University on April 13.
Here’s the complete list of winners. See a photo gallery below:
- 1st Place: Ariana Conway and Jackie Jewel, “The Secret Code of Math”
- 2nd Place: Ty Reppe, “30 Major League Parks: 1 Father, 1 Son, 1 Car, 1 Summer”
- 3rd Pace: Erin Readling, “Walking to School”
- Honorable Mention: Julia Leeman and Sophia Leeman, “Discover, Explore, Succeed with Math”
- Honorable Mention: Ryan Lampe, “Proving Pick’s Theorem”
- Honorable Mention: Jasmine Jones, “Why Dolleez, Inc. Didn’t Work”
- Honorable Mention: Lily Klett, “Battle of the Bins”
- Honorable Mention: Mitch Porter, “Can Earth Host the Tallest Mountain in the Solar System?”
- Honorable Mention: Mia Biehler and Emily Meintzer, “Organic vs. Non-Organic”
- 1st Place: Emma Noonan, “Cool Pool Math”
- 2nd Place: Ethan Baker, “Minecraft Math”
- 3rd Pace: Luke Husk, “Davidson Elementary School Store Survey and Analysis”
- Honorable Mention: Caroline Wood, “The Rising Cost of College”
- 1st Place: Hailee Patel, “How to Read a Binary Clock”
- 2nd Place: Andrew Kryshtalowych, “Math and FBS Bowl Mania”
- 3rd Pace: Ethan Henry, “How Many Jellybeans Are In the Jar?”
- Honorable Mention: Sophie McRee, “How is Math Used in Construction?”
- Honorable Mention: Lauren Stowell, “Ellipsoid Travel”
- Honorable Mention: Sommer Chiasera, “Math in the Kitchen”
DES STUDENTS SHINE IN MATH OLYMPIAD
In other math news at Davidson Elementary, five students in fourth and fifth grades earned perfect scores on December’s Math Olympiad challenge. Only 5 percent of fifth graders and 2 percent of fourth graders worldwide earned perfect scores. They are:
- 5th Grade: Ryan Lampe, Julia Leeman, Erin Readling, Mitch Porter
- 4th Grade: Peter Stenger
See more school news, including news from Cornelius schools, on CorneliusNews.net.
- FEB. 15-MARCH 1 – Cornelius Elementary Scholastic Book Fair
- MONDAY, FEB. 18 – No school for CMS students in observance of Presidents’ Day
- TUESDAY, FEB. 19 – Cornelius Elementary PTO night at Chick-fil-A
- TUESDAY, FEB 19, 6:30pm – Hough High Curriculum Night and PTSA General Meeting.
- WEDNESDAY, FEB. 20, 3:30pm – J.V. Washam Media Center Dedication in honor of Violet Washam.
- FRIDAY, FEB. 22, 10:30am, Barnes & Noble, Birkdale, Huntersville — Black History Month presentation by McKinney Academy Students.
- FEB. 28 to MARCH 2 – Hough High School production of “HONK! The Musical” (A Musical Tale of the Ugly Duckling.) Shows: 7pm 2/28 and 3/1; 2 and 7pm on 3/2.
School news appears on DavidsonNews.net and CorneliusNews.net. Send news to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DAVIDSON ELEMENTARY MATH FAIR GALLERY
Click on any photo to launch the slide show.