Firefighters investigated several reports of hazardous conditions over the past week, including an odor of propane inside of a home under construction. That turned out to be a heater that had been left running. In a later incident, firefighters disconnected the power to an HVAC unit outside Summit Coffee on Main Street after employees noticed an odor from an air vent. And seven students were rescued after being trapped in a Davidson College elevator on Jan. 14. Fire alarm activations and medical calls rounded out the majority of the remaining calls. Details on these incidents and more may be found below.
MONDAY, JAN. 14, 9:19 p.m., 200 D Road, Chambers Building, Davidson College – Engine 1 and Ladder 1 extricated seven students from inside an elevator that had stalled between floors. Firefighters shut down power to the elevator and manually opened the doors. No injuries were reported.
TUESDAY, JAN. 15, 7:23 a.m., 10213 Treetop Lane, Cornelius – Engine 1 was canceled while responding to an incident in Cornelius.
WEDNESDAY, JAN. 16, 12:48 p.m., 10125 Westmoreland Road, Cornelius – Engine 2 stood by at a hydrant while Cornelius firefighters investigated a fire alarm activation. All Davidson units were canceled and returned to service.
THURSDAY, JAN. 17, 5:06 p.m., 10220 Bon Meade Lane, Cornelius – Engine 1 was canceled while responding to a fire alarm activation in Cornelius.
THURSDAY, JAN. 17, 6:35 p.m., 200 Baker Drive, Baker Sports Complex, Davidson College – Rescue 14 provided an EMS standby for the Davidson College men's basketball game versus The Citadel Bulldogs.
SATURDAY, JAN. 19, 7:19 a.m., 128 S. Main St., Summit Coffee – Engine 1 investigated an odor of smoke coming from an HVAC vent. Firefighters located the corresponding HVAC unit and shut down power to it. The odor of smoke quickly dissipated, and the coffee shop's management was advised not to turn the HVAC unit back on until it could be serviced.
SATURDAY, JAN. 19, 2:02 p.m., 133 O Henry Ave. – Engine 1 investigated a carbon monoxide alarm activation inside of a residence and found no elevated levels of hazardous gases, including around the home's gas fireplace. Firefighters advised the homeowners to have their alarm system inspected.
SATURDAY, JAN. 19, 6:31 p.m., 200 Baker Drive, Baker Sports Complex, Davidson College – Rescue 14 provided an EMS standby for the Davidson College men's basketball game versus The College of Charleston Cougars.
SATURDAY, JAN. 19, 7:36 p.m., 540 Lorimer Road – Engine 1 investigated a report of smoke visible outside. Firefighters investigated for several blocks around the smoke sighting but were unable to determine its source.
SATURDAY, JAN. 19, 8:12 p.m., 16436 Leavitt Lane – Engine 1 responded to a report of an odor of natural gas inside of a residence that was under construction. Firefighters found that a propane heater had been left on and unattended in one room of the house. Emergency personnel turned off the propane heater and ventilated the structure before clearing the scene without incident.
SUNDAY, JAN. 20, 10:41 a.m., 242 Gamble Street – Engine 1 and Rescue 14 investigated a fire alarm activation and found that construction personnel had triggered a smoke detector with dust while working with sheet rock.
MONDAY, JAN. 21, 5:03 p.m., 11113 Aprilia Lane, Cornelius – Engine 1 was canceled while responding to a fire alarm activation with Cornelius firefighters.
MEDICAL CALLS: JAN. 14-21
Following are the medical calls that the Davidson Fire Department responded to last week. The release of addresses and other details related to these calls has been restricted in order to ensure patients’ privacy.
- Fall victim: 4
- Headache: 1
- Hemorrhage/Laceration: 1
- Ingestion/Poisoning: 2
- Stroke/CVA: 2
- Traffic accident: 1
- Unconscious/Fainting: 1
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
DavidsonNews.net often delivers breaking fire and police news via the Twitter social networking service. Follow us @DavNews (http://www.twitter.com/davnews)