The Town of Davidson is reminding residents that recycling will be picked up this week, the week of Oct. 15, and every other week from now on under a new schedule that took effect this month. In a news alert this weekend, the town also announced that it no longer will pick up used appliances.
The town reminds residents to put out red 96-gallon recycling carts on their designated trash pickup days this week.
Town spokeswoman Cristina Shaul said the town will continue to pick up other bulky waste items, but it has decided to drop appliances. “Most appliance deliverers now offer to take away old appliances, so this change was made to save taxpayers’ money,” she said.
The town changed its garbage pickup schedules and recycling procedures on Oct. 1. More information is below, or on the town website at www.townofdavidson.org/GarbageSchedule. Residents also may call contact Republic Waste Services at 704-393-6900 or Public Works Manager Doug Wright at email@example.com or 704-940-9625.
GARBAGE AND RECYCLING Q&A
What are the changes?
In October 2012, the town made the following changes to the solid waste collection program:
- Garbage and yard waste will be collected every week.
- The red 96-gallon recycling cart will be collected every other week.
Garbage, recycling, and yard waste is collected on a 4-day schedule, Monday-Thursday. To determine your collection day, please look at the map and alphabetical street listing on display at town hall or on our website at www.townofdavidson.org/GarbageSchedule.
- The town is no longer collecting appliances. These should be hauled to the North Mecklenburg Recycling Center on Hwy 21 (Statesville Rd) in Huntersville.
Why is the town making these changes?
- Bi-Weekly Recycle Cart: The waste collection industry is moving toward automated collection of recyclables. As other municipalities have converted from 18-gallon recycle bins to 96-gallon recycle carts, recycling participation has universally increased. In 2011, Davidson’s recycle participation rate was 13% of the total waste tonnage produced. We have set a goal of 20% for 2015, and see this change as an essential part of that effort.
- 4-Day Collection Route: The town’s waste vendor, Republic Waste Services, will have equipment operating in town four days each week. This will allow us to better rectify any missed collections or customer requests.
What if I lose track of which week is recycling pick-up week?
The collection schedule is on the town’s website.
Sept. 17, 2012, “Trash & recycling pickup days, bins to change Oct. 1″