A Jetton Street resident called the fire department on Oct. 2 to check on a smoking electrical box on the outside of a detached garage. A Duke Energy technician shut down power to the panel, and no damage was found. Davidson Engine 1 provided backup Oct. 1 when Cornelius firefighters put out a house fire on Island Forest Drive, on Lake Norman. And firefighters also responded to two calls at Davidson College recently involving people trapped in elevators, as well as a slew of malfunctioning carbon monoxide alarms. See a complete list of recent incidents (as well as a tally of the medical calls) below.
SUNDAY, SEP. 30, 12:19 a.m., 106 Patterson Court Circle, Davidson College dormitory – Engine 1 and Rescue 14 assisted occupants of an elevator that had become stuck. Firefighters switched off power to the elevator and opened the door, allowing the occupants to step out. The elevator car had stalled approximately one foot above the first floor landing.
SUNDAY SEP. 30, 7:16 p.m., 329 Catawba Ave. – Engine 3, Ladder 1, and Rescue 14 responded to a report of a structure fire and found that an outdoor fireplace was causing the smoke that 911 callers had reported.
MONDAY, OCT. 1, 3:12 p.m., 10943 Island Forest Drive, Cornelius – Engine 1 assisted the Cornelius Fire Department with a structure fire by providing manpower and serving as a Rapid Intervention Team for injured firefighters. See a story and photo from Oct. 1, on CorneliusNews.net, “Fire damages lakefront home on Island Forest Drive”
TUESDAY, OCT. 2, 10:19 a.m., 860 Jetton St. – Engine 1, Rescue 8, and Rescue 14 responded with the Cornelius Fire Department to a possible structure fire and found that an electrical meter attached to the outside wall of a detached garage was smoking. A Duke Energy technician shut down power to the meter and controlled the fire. Mild smoke damage was reported around the meter, but no damage or other hazards were found inside the garage.
WEDNESDAY, OCT. 3, 4:35 a.m., 18832 Greyton Lane, River Run – Engine 1 investigated a fire alarm and learned that a smoke detector had been triggered by steam from a shower. The homeowner reset the alarm system and firefighters cleared the scene without incident.
WEDNESDAY, OCT. 3, 12:58 p.m., 218 Harbour Place Drive – Engine 1 investigated a carbon monoxide alarm activation and found no hazards inside the apartment. None of the residents had symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, and firefighters advised them to replace the malfunctioning alarm to avoid future false alarms.
WEDNESDAY, OCT. 3, 8:39 p.m., 133 Glasgow Street, Tomlinson Dormitory, Davidson College – Engine 1 investigated a fire alarm activation and found that burnt popcorn had triggered a smoke detector. Firefighters opened windows to ventilate the area and allowed residents to reenter the building after resetting the alarm.
THURSDAY, OCT. 4, 9:59 a.m., 233 S. Main St., Davidson United Methodist Church – Engine 1 and Ladder 1 responded to an accidental fire alarm activation and learned that a fire drill was being conducted. The alarm system was supposed to be in “test” mode. Firefighters quickly reset the alarm and cleared the scene.
THURSDAY, OCT. 4, 6:18 p.m., 12719 Windsor Crest, Bailey Springs – Engine 1 investigated a carbon monoxide alarm activation and found no hazards present after inspecting the house with a gas meter. Firefighters advised the homeowner to replace the CO detector, which was displaying an error code.
THURSDAY, OCT. 4, 8:15 p.m., 507 Delburg St. – Engine 3 investigated a carbon monoxide alarm activation and found no hazards present after inspecting the house with a gas meter. Firefighters advised the homeowner to replace the CO detector, which was displaying an error code.
FRIDAY, OCT. 5, 12:32 a.m., 200 D Road, Davidson College Chambers Building – Engine 3 responded to a report of a stalled elevator. Firefighters used the elevator’s relief valve to slowly lower the elevator down, then opened the door and freed the trapped passengers. No injuries were reported and the elevator was locked until it could be repaired.
FRIDAY, OCT. 5, 11:14 a.m., 233 S. Main St., Davidson United Methodist Church – Engine 1 investigated a fire alarm activation and determined that a smoke detector head had been triggered by burnt toast near the kitchen area. Firefighters reset the alarm after helping to ventilate the area around the smoke detector.
FRIDAY, OCT. 5, 2:23 p.m., 1029 Southwest Drive – Engine 1 assisted a homeowner by replacing a carbon monoxide alarm that was beeping intermittently as if it had a low battery even after replacing its battery.
SATURDAY, OCT. 6, 1:32 a.m., 409 Ridge Road, Davidson College Apartments – Engine 3 investigated a carbon monoxide alarm activation and found no hazards present after inspecting the student’s apartment with a gas meter. Firefighters inspected the malfunctioning plug-in CO detector and advised the resident to replace it.
SUNDAY, OCT. 7, 6:39 p.m., 410 Ridge Road, Davidson College Apartments – Engine 1 and Rescue 14 investigated a fire alarm activation and found that smoke from cooking on a kitchen stove had triggered a smoke detector. No hazards were present, and firefighters quickly reset the alarm system.
MONDAY, OCT. 8, 11:57 a.m., 201 Avinger Lane – Engine 1 and Ladder 1 investigated a residential fire alarm activation and found that the homeowner had triggered the alarm by mistake.
MONDAY, OCT. 8, 2:58 p.m., 550 Delburg Street – Engine 1 investigated a residential fire alarm activation and determined that the alarm system had a defective smoke detector. The homeowner advised firefighters that she will replace it.
MEDICAL CALLS, SEP. 28-OCT. 8
Following are the medical calls Davidson Fire Department responded to last week. The department says patient privacy laws prohibit public release of addresses or other details.
- Abdominal pain: 1
- Allergic reaction: 1
- Chest pain: 2
- Convulsions/Seizure: 1
- Headache: 2
- Ingestion/Overdose: 1
- Fall victim: 3
- Sick person: 1
- Stroke/CVA: 2
- Traffic accident: 1
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
DavidsonNews.net often delivers breaking fire and police news via the Twitter social networking service. Follow us @DavNews (http://www.twitter.com/davnews)