A passing motorist used a fire extinguisher to help firefighters contain a series of small fires that started in the I-77 median last Friday, when a tractor trailer shredded a tire, littering the side of the road with hot debris. Elsewhere, unattended stoves in a Davidson College eating house prompted an emergency response after an air duct smoke detector was triggered, as did a reported odor of natural gas inside of a residence on Eden Street. Details on these incidents and more (as well as a tally of the week’s medical calls) may be found below.
FRIDAY, SEPT. 21, 12:19 p.m., 9340 Washam Potts Road, Cornelius – Engine 1 was canceled by the incident commander while responding to a fire alarm activation with the Cornelius Fire Department.
FRIDAY, SEPT. 21, 1:07 p.m., I-77 at mile marker 27 – Engine 1 was dispatched to a report of multiple small grass fires located along the median of the interstate. Upon arrival, firefighters found only one small fire that was quickly extinguished, but a passing motorist stopped ahead of the fire engines and extinguished another small fire with a fire extinguisher. Emergency personnel determined that the fires were started by a passing tractor trailer that shredded a tire and spread debris into the median.
FRIDAY, SEPT. 21, 7:34 p.m., 19520 Smithville Lane, Cornelius – Engine 1 and Ladder 1 were cancelled while responding to a fire alarm activation with Cornelius firefighters.
SATURDAY, SEPT. 22, 2:29 a.m., 118 Patterson Court Circle, Turner Eating House – Engine 1 investigated a fire alarm activation and found that an air duct smoke detector had been triggered. Firefighters found that the oven and kitchen stoves had been left on with no one in the house and no exhaust ventilation running, causing the cooking surfaces to begin smoking. Emergency personnel ventilated the building and turned off the cooking appliances before notifying Davidson College Campus Police and resetting the alarm system.
SATURDAY, SEPT. 22, 9:01 a.m, 107 Park Forest Street – Engine 1 and Ladder 1 investigated a fire alarm activation and determined that steam from a shower had triggered a smoke detector. No hazards were present.
SATURDAY, SEPT. 22, 6:54 p.m., 107 Pine Road – Engine 1 investigated a fire alarm activation and found that smoke from cooking on a kitchen stove had triggered a smoke detector inside of a residence. Firefighters helped the homeowner ventilate the house until the alarm reset itself.
SUNDAY, SEPT. 23, 12:16 a.m., 103 Martin Court, Davidson College Apartments – Engine 1 investigated a fire alarm activation and found that steam from a shower had triggered a smoke detector in an apartment hallway. Firefighters quickly reset the alarm system after ensuring that no hazards were present and cleared the scene without incident.
MONDAY, SEPT. 24, 9:25 a.m., 233 Eden St. – Engine 1 responded to an odor of natural gas inside of a residence but found no such smell upon investigating. Firefighters inspected the house with a gas meter and detected no abnormal readings, but notified PSNC of the homeowner’s concern.
TUESDAY, SEPT. 25, 2:09 p.m., 228 Avinger Lane – Engine 1 responded to a fire alarm activation and was told en-route that the homeowner was reporting a false alarm. Engine 1 continued to investigate without lights and sirens and found that construction dust had triggered a smoke detector.
THURSDAY, SEPT. 27, 11:01 a.m., 103 Martin Court Drive, Davidson College Apartments – Engine 1, Engine 2, and Rescue 14 investigated a fire alarm activation and determined that a malfunctioning smoke detector had triggered the alarm. Firefighters reported the malfunction to Davidson College Physical Plant personnel and reset the alarm system.
MEDICAL CALLS, SEPT. 21-27
Following are the medical calls that the Davidson Fire Department responded to last week. The release of addresses and other details related to these calls has been restricted in order to ensure patients’ privacy.
- Breathing problem: 1
- Convulsions/Seizure: 1
- Fall victim: 1
- Lifting assistance: 1
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
DavidsonNews.net often delivers breaking fire and police news via the Twitter social networking service. Follow us @DavNews (http://www.twitter.com/davnews)