Firefighters responded to two elevator entrapments this week, including one Tuesday at The Davidson Clinic building on Griffith Street where 9 people were trapped. Also Tuesday, a tree fell across Davidson-Concord Road and briefly stopped traffic before emergency personnel arrived to remove the obstacle. Details on these stories and more, along with a tally of the week’s medical calls, may be found below.
FRIDAY, SEPT. 14, 11:39 a.m., 104 Martin Court, Davidson College Apartments – Engine 1 and Ladder 1 investigated a fire alarm activation and found that burnt food on the stove had triggered a smoke detector. Firefighters quickly reset the alarm system and cleared the scene without incident.
FRIDAY, SEPT. 14, 8:15 p.m., 19322 Ruffner Road, Cornelius – Engine 1 assisted Cornelius firefighters with an outside gas leak. No injuries were reported.
SATURDAY, SEPT. 15, 1:52 a.m., 200 D Road, Chambers Building, Davidson College – Engine 1 responded to an elevator entrapment and found that the elevator was stuck between the second and third floors with one passenger trapped inside. Firefighters shut down power to the elevator and used an attic ladder to remove the passengers, none of whom were injured. Emergency personnel alerted Davidson College Physical Plant personnel of the malfunction after taking the elevator out of service until it could be inspected.
TUESDAY, SEPT. 18, 9:05 a.m., Davidson-Concord Road at Robert Walker Drive – Engine 1 and Rescue 14 assisted Davidson police officers with a tree that had fallen across the roadway. Firefighters used chainsaws to cut the tree into manageable pieces before dragging it out of the road, allowing traffic to pass.
TUESDAY, SEPT. 18, 5:37 p.m., 705 Griffith St., Davidson Clinic – Engine 1 responded to an elevator entrapment and found that nine people were stuck in an elevator that was stuck between the first and second floor. Firefighters shut down power to the elevator and lowered the stuck passenger car by overriding the elevator’s hydraulic system. No injuries were reported, and all passengers were able to exit the elevator once emergency personnel opened the door on the ground floor. The elevator was taken out of service until it could be repaired.
THURSDAY, SEPT. 20, 12:59 p.m., Turnberry Court, River Run – Engine 3 and Ladder 1 investigated a fire alarm activation and determined that alarm had malfunctioned. Firefighters reset the alarm and cleared the scene without incident.
MEDICAL CALLS, SEPT. 15-20
Following are the medical calls that the Davidson Fire Department responded to last week. The release of addresses and other details related to these calls has been restricted in order to ensure patients’ privacy.
- Breathing problem: 1
- Convulsions/Seizure: 1
- Fall victim: 1
- Sick person: 1
- Traffic accident: 1
- Traumatic injury: 1
- Unconscious/Fainting: 2
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
DavidsonNews.net often delivers breaking fire and police news via the Twitter social networking service. Follow us @DavNews (http://www.twitter.com/davnews)