Firefighters stayed on the road this week investigating fire alarm activations and smoke scares. On Thursday, passing motorists reported smoke coming from a Spring Street home. Emergency personnel responded and found that the homeowner had simply lit a fire in an outside fireplace behind the residence. Also this week, a Davidson College fraternity house’s kitchen fire extinguishing system triggered when a stove was left on. Details on these stories and more (along with a tally of the week’s medical calls) may be found below.
MONDAY, AUG. 27, 9:03 a.m., I-77 southbound at mile marker 32 – Engine 1 was canceled while responding to a traffic accident on the interstate with the Mount Mourne Volunteer Fire Department.
MONDAY, AUG. 27, 11:45 a.m., I-77 Northbound at Exit 33 – Engine 1 and Engine 3 responded to assist the Mount Mourne Volunteer Fire Department with a tractor trailer fire, but all Davidson units were canceled by the Mount Mourne incident commander upon arriving on the scene.
MONDAY, AUG. 27, 8:32 p.m., 635 South St., Davidson Elementary School – Engine 1 and Ladder 1 investigated a fire alarm activation and found that the alarm had been triggered accidentally by maintenance personnel at the school. No hazards were present and firefighters quickly reset the alarm system.
MONDAY, AUG. 27, 9:28 p.m., 18210 Barnhardt Road – Engine 1 investigated a fire alarm activation and found that a residential smoke detector had been triggered by cooking, but no smoke or flames were present.
TUESDAY, AUG. 28, 9:37 a.m., 118 Patterson Court Circle, Kappa Sigma Fraternity House – Engine 1 and Ladder 1 investigated a fire alarm activation and discovered that the stovetop in a fraternity house’s kitchen had been left on without the hood fan. Heat from the stove triggered the cooking area’s hood extinguisher, and Davidson College Physical Plant personnel had to respond to the scene in order to recharge the system and to have the surrounding area detailed before any food could be served again. Firefighters were able to reset the alarm system once the extinguisher system was recharged.
TUESDAY, AUG. 28, 10:06 a.m., 119 Patterson Court Circle, Turner Eating House – Engine 1 and Ladder 1 investigated a fire alarm and discovered that a telephone technician had accidentally triggered the alarm system.
WEDNESDAY, AUG. 29, 3:27 p.m., 404 Armour St. – Engine 1 investigated a fire alarm activation, but found no hazards present and no alarms sounding upon arriving on the scene. Firefighters checked the alarm panel and found all systems normal, but Mecklenburg County dispatchers reported that the alarm system had been reset prior to firefighters’ arrival. A Mecklenburg County fire marshal was notified and all Davidson units cleared the scene without incident.
THURSDAY, AUG. 30, 8:42 a.m., 519 Spring St. – Engine , Ladder 1, and Rescue 14 responded to a report of a structure fire. Passing motorists had reported smoke coming from the residence, but firefighters found that the homeowner had simply started a fire in an outside fireplace behind the house. No hazards were present, and firefighters cleared the scene after reporting the situation to dispatchers.
THURSDAY, AUG. 30, 8:52 a.m., 321 South St. – Engine 1 investigated an odor of smoke in the area and determined that smoke from the Spring Street residence mentioned in an earlier call had settled outside. Firefighters took no action and cleared the scene after confirming that no hazards were present in the area.
THURSDAY, AUG. 30, 9:00 p.m., 424 North Faulkner Way – Engine 1 investigated a fire alarm activation and found that a residential smoke detector had malfunctioned. Firefighters inspected the house with a gas meter and found no hazards. The homeowner was advised to have the alarm system inspected.
FRIDAY, AUG. 31, 3:12 a.m., I-77 Southbound near Exit 30 – Engine 1 was cancelled while responding to assist a motorist who was reportedly trapped by their seat belt.
FRIDAY, AUG. 31, 9:38 a.m., 18801 Greyton Lane, Knobloch Indoor Tennis Center, Davidson College – Engine 1 and Ladder 1 investigated a fire alarm activation and discovered that a Davidson College Physical Plant employee had accidentally triggered a smoke detector with the exhaust from a blower while cleaning out a utility room.
FRIDAY, AUG. 31, 10:06 a.m., 19501 Statesville Road, Hampton Inn, Cornelius – Engine 1 assisted Cornelius firefighters with a fire alarm activation in a hotel.
FRIDAY, AUG. 31, 10:15 a.m., 8621 Covedale Crossings Circle, Cornelius – Engine 1 assisted Cornelius firefighters with a cooking fire that was confined to its container.
FRIDAY, AUG. 31, 8:06 p.m., 188 Yeoman Lane, Mooresville – Engine 1 was cancelled while responding to assist Mount Mourne firefighters.
SATURDAY, SEPT. 1, 2:26 p.m., 20215 Heights Way, Cornelius – Engine 1 was cancelled while responding to a fire alarm activation with Cornelius firefighters.
MEDICAL CALLS: AUG. 27-SEPT. 3
Following are the medical calls that the Davidson Fire Department responded to last week. The release of addresses and other details related to these calls has been restricted in order to ensure patients’ privacy.
- Abdominal pain: 1
- Choking: 1
- Fall victim: 2
- Heat/Cold exposure: 1
- Ingestion/Poisoning: 1
- Sick person: 1
- Stroke/CVA: 2
- Traffic accident: 1
- Traumatic injury: 2
- Unconscious/Fainting: 1
- Unknown problem: 1
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
DavidsonNews.net often delivers breaking fire and police news via the Twitter social networking service. Follow us @DavNews (http://www.twitter.com/davnews)