Concord Police on Monday identified a 16-year-old Davidson boy as the suspect in a Friday bank robbery, who later took his own life.
Meanwhile, in other news over the past week, Davidson police investigated a woman’s complaint that a neighbor has been harassing her over the past year by waking past her house and calling 911 on members of her family. Also this week, $3,000 was stolen from a local dentist’s office, and an elderly resident of Fisher Road was reportedly a victim of fraud.
ROBBERY/SUICIDE IN CONCORD
On Monday, Concord Police issued an update on a bank robbery Friday, Aug. 31, identifying the person involved as a 16-year-old Davidson boy. Here’s the Concord Police statement:
At about 5:15 Friday afternoon August 31, 2012, Concord police responded to report of armed robbery at BB&T Bank located at 9685 Harris Road in Concord, NC. Reports stated a lone gunman wearing a mask entered the bank, produced a handgun and demanded money, and left the bank on foot. Officers responded and encountered the suspect who continued to flee and ran into the garage of a residence on Lolabridge St. NW. There the suspect committed suicide. No shots were fired by officers and no injuries to anyone other than the suspect were reported.
The robbery suspect/suicide victim has been identified as: Maurice Spenser Van Hecke, age 16, of Davidson.
The report gave no motive and no further information about the incident.
MONDAY, AUG. 20, 3:55 p.m., 209 Delburg Street, Davidson Cosmetic and Family Dentistry – Police are investigating a larceny in which almost $3,000 was stolen from a family-owned dentist’s office.
TUESDAY, AUG. 22, 3:00 p.m., 200 block of Edgewater Park Drive – Police are investigating a case of harassment. The victim stated that her neighbor has harassed, upset, and caused her undue stress over the past year by driving and walking past her residence and calling 911 on members of her family.
TUESDAY, AUG. 22, 3:45 p.m., 20800 block of Fisher Road – Police are investigating a case of fraud in which an 87-year-old victim was swindled out of $133.73.
ARRESTS, CITATIONS, AND TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT: AUG 20-26
- BAILEY ROAD - 1 citation for speeding
- BEATY STREET - 1 arrest for driving while license revoked. 1 citation for expired registration/inspection, 1 for no operator’s license, 1 for speeding, and 1 for driving while license revoked
- CONCORD ROAD - 1 citation for failing to decrease speed in order to avoid a collision
- FISHER ROAD - 1 arrest for credit card fraud and larceny
- GRIFFITH STREET - 12 citations for speeding, 2 for expired registration/inspection, 1 for failing to carry insurance, and 1 for failing to carry a driver’s license
- GROCERY LANE - 1 citation for making an improper left turn
- JETTON STREET - 2 citations for failing to stop at a stop sign
- MAIN STREET - 1 citation for no operator’s license and 1 for speeding
- NC-115 - 1 citation for using a fictitious tag and1 for failing to carry insurance
- ROBERT WALKER DRIVE – 1 arrest for discharging a firearm within city limits and 5 citations for speeding
- SOUTH STREET - 1 citation for possession of marijuana and 1 for possession of drug paraphernalia
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
DavidsonNews.net occasionally delivers breaking fire and police news via the Twitter social networking service. Follow us @DavNews (http://www.twitter.com/davnews)