Davidson firefighters investigated several reports of smoke this week, including one at The Pines at Davidson in which a light haze of smoke was found coming from an electrical room. A malfunctioning alarm at Davidson Cornelius Child Development Center on Gamble Street also put firefighters on the road three times last Friday, and fire officials said the system would need to be serviced before children returned on Monday. Details on these stories and more (along with a tally of the week’s medical calls) may be found below.
WEDNESDAY, AUG. 15, N.C. 73 at Stanley McElrath Road – Engine 3 and Rescue 14 responded with North Meck Rescue to a motor vehicle collision. No one was injured in the crash, but firefighters disconnected the battery of one of the vehicles to prevent its airbags from deploying while rescuers assisted one passenger.
FRIDAY, AUG. 17, 7:01 a.m., 103 Martin Court Drive, Davidson College Apartments – Engine 3 and Rescue 14 investigated a fire alarm activation and discovered that a malfunctioning smoke detector had triggered the alarm.
FRIDAY, AUG. 17, 9:31 a.m., 400 Avinger Lane, The Pines at Davidson – Engine 3, Ladder 1, and Rescue 14 responded to a report of a structure fire, but no hazards were visible from outside upon firefighters arrival. Emergency personnel found a light haze of smoke coming from an electrical room inside the facility, however, but an exact source of the smoke could not be identified. Fire crews investigated the floors above and below the electrical room, as well as on the roof for possible sources of the smoke before resetting the alarm system. Maintenance personnel were ask to check the electrical room on a regular basis and to call 911 again if any further problems developed.
FRIDAY, AUG. 17, 1:07 p.m., 242 Gamble Street, Davidson-Cornelius Child Development Center – Engine 3 and Ladder 1 investigated a commercial fire alarm activation and discovered that an employee had accidentally triggered a smoke detector while cleaning it at the direction of ADT Security Services.
FRIDAY, AUG. 17, 3:57 p.m., 242 Gamble Street, Davidson-Cornelius Child Development Center – Engine 3 and Ladder 1 investigated another fire alarm activation at the day care. Staff members at the facility told firefighters that the same smoke detector had triggered again, but that an ADT technician had placed the detector in “test” mode while leaving the rest of the system active, ensuring adequate fire protection.
FRIDAY, AUG. 17, 6:23 p.m., 242 Gamble St., Davidson-Cornelius Child Development Center – Engine 3, Ladder 1, and Rescue 14 responded to the day care yet again for a malfunctioning fire alarm system. Firefighters found no hazards after thoroughly inspecting the building and told an employee to inform the director that the system would need to be inspected before children returned to the facility.
SATURDAY, AUG. 18, 4:16 p.m., 20600 Sterling Bay Lane, Cornelius – Engine 3, Marine 1, and Rescue 14 were dispatched to Lake Cornelius to assist three boaters who were stranded after their canoe overturned. All emergency responders were canceled after Cornelius police officers reported that the boaters had turned the canoe upright and were no longer in the water.
SUNDAY, AUG. 19, 10:56 p.m., 822 Cotton Gin Alley – Engine 3 and Ladder 1 investigated an odor of smoke inside of a residence. The homeowner told firefighters that he had been smelling smoke through the building’s HVAC system throughout the day, but emergency personnel found no hazards after checking the area with a thermal imaging camera and a gas meter. No smoke detectors had been triggered, and firefighters failed to detect any suspicious odors. The homeowner was advised to call 911 if the odor returned or if any smoke detectors were activated.
MEDICAL CALLS, AUG. 15-21
Following are the medical calls that the Davidson Fire Department responded to last week. The release of addresses and other details related to these calls has been restricted in order to ensure patients’ privacy.
- Abdominal pain: 1
- Breathing problem: 1
- Chest pain: 2
- Fall victim: 2
- Heart problems: 1
- Sick person: 2
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
DavidsonNews.net often delivers breaking fire and police news via the Twitter social networking service. Follow us @DavNews (http://www.twitter.com/davnews)