Firefighters managed a number of utility emergencies this week, including an arcing electrical transformer on Westside Terrace and natural gas leaks on Church Street and Old Meeting Way. An electric motor in a vending machine at the Lake Norman YMCA caused a smoke scare last Tuesday, and a pile of rags in a Cornelius Hampton Inn workroom ignited on the second floor, starting a small fire that was quickly extinguished. Details on these stories and more (along with a tally of the week’s medical calls) may be found below.
THURSDAY, AUG. 2, 8:27 p.m., 21817 Chapel Way, Cornelius – Engine 3 and Ladder 1 responded to assist Cornelius firefighters with a reported structure fire. Davidson units arrived on the scene and staged at a nearby hydrant before being released by the Cornelius incident commander.
MONDAY, AUG. 6, 1:55 p.m., 154 Whitby Lane, Mount Mourne – Engine 3 was cancelled while responding to a fire alarm activation with the Mount Mourne Volunteer Fire Department.
MONDAY, AUG. 6, 9:06 p.m., 650 Westside Terrace – Engine 3 investigated a report of an electrical hazard and found an electrical transformer that was arcing on a power pole. Firefighters notified Duke Energy of the problem and stayed on the scene until electricians arrived.
TUESDAY, AUG. 7, 7:53 a.m., 104 Martin Court Drive, Davidson College Apartments – Engine 3 and Ladder 1 investigated a fire alarm activation and found that Davidson College Physical Plant personnel had accidentally trigered a smoke detector while using compressed air in an apartment.
TUESDAY, AUG. 7, 8:34 a.m., 753 Jetton Street – Engine 3 and Ladder 1 investigated an odor of natural gas outside. Firefighters cheked one square block with a gas monitor and found no hazards.
TUESDAY, AUG. 7, 10:01 a.m., 19817 Church Street, Cornelius – Engine 3 assisted Cornelius firefighters with a natural gas leak after the gas line was cut in the street. Technicians from the gas company controlled the leak and released all emergency personnel.
TUESDAY, AUG. 7, 5:06 p.m., 21300 Davidson Street, Lake Norman YMCA, Cornelius – Engine 3 and Ladder 1 investigated an odor of smoke with Cornelius firefighters and found that a malfunctioning motor in a vending machine had caused the odor. All Davidson units were released from the scene and returned to their district.
WEDNESDAY, AUG. 8, 19501 Statesville Road, Hampton Inn, Cornelius – Engine 3 responded to a fire with the Cornelius Fire Department. Cornelius firefighters reported that the fire had been extinguished by a fire extinguisher prior to their arrival, but that there was still smoke present on the second floor. Davidson units used fans to help ventilate the building and monitored the floors above and below the fire for hazardous gases. Emergency personnel determined that the fire had been contained to a small group of rags in a workroom on the second floor.
WEDNESDAY, AUG. 8, 2:51 p.m., 18710 Cannon Crossing Way – Engine 3 and Ladder 1 investigated a residential fire alarm activation and determined that the alarm system had malfunctioned after finding no smoke detectors had been triggered. Firefighters found no hazards present and cleared the scene without incident.
WEDNESDAY, AUG. 8, 10:31 p.m., 103 Martin Court Drive, Davidson College Apartments – Engine 3 and Ladder 1 investigated a fire alarm activation and found that steam from a shower had triggered a smoke detector. Firefighters quickly reset the alarm system and allowed students to reenter the building.
THURSDAY, AUG. 9, 9:39 a.m., 18532 Dembridge Drive – Engine 3 responded to a report of a carbon monoxide alarm activation. The homeowner met firefighters outside and told them that one of her CO alarms was beeping. Emergency personnel checked her house with a gas meter and found no hazards before advising the homeowner to replace the CO detector because it was thirteen years old.
FRIDAY, AUG. 10, 8:43 a.m., 652 Old Meeting Way – Engine 3 and Ladder 1 responded to a report of a natural gas leak and found that a residential gas line was leaking at the meter. Firefighters shut off the line at the meter and notified PSNC that the system would need to be repaired.
TUESDAY, AUG. 14, 8:03 a.m., 744 Hudson Place – Engine 1 and Rescue 14 investigated a residential fire alarm activation and found that a smoke detector had malfunctioned, causing the entire home’s alarm system to sound. Firefighters identified the faulty detector and reset the alarm system, then advised the homeowner to have the alarm system inspected and to install carbon monoxide detectors.
TUESDAY, AUG. 14, 2:12 p.m., 212 Gamble Street, Ada Jenkins Center – Engine 3 investigated a fire alarm activation and determined that a pull station in the gymnasium had been triggered by an unknown person. Firefighters reset the alarm system and the pull station.
TUESDAY, AUG. 14, 9:14 p.m., 21315 Catawba Avenue, Cornelius – Engine 3 was cancelled while responding to a fire alarm activation with the Cornelius Fire Department.
MEDICAL CALLS, AUG. 7-14
Following are the medical calls that the Davidson Fire Department responded to last week. The release of addresses and other details related to these calls has been restricted in order to ensure patients’ privacy.
- Back pain: 1
- Fall victim: 3
- Hemorrhage/Laceration: 1
- Sick person: 1
- Traumatic injury: 1
- Unconscious/Fainting: 1
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
DavidsonNews.net often delivers breaking fire and police news via the Twitter social networking service. Follow us @DavNews (http://www.twitter.com/davnews)