Firefighters investigated two possible fires this week, including one residence on Elm Row Court in which the homeowners smelled a strong odor of smoke outside their home. Thermal imaging cameras and portable gas monitors helped firefighters determine no hazards were present. An I-77 driver also reported a fire either on a boat or along the bank of Lake Norman, but an investigation by fire crews turned up nothing.
A large tree limb broke off early Thursday morning, July 26, and blocked both lanes of traffic on Concord Road. Firefighters used tools to help open one lane of traffic, but Town of Davidson public works personnel had to be called to help remove the rest of the limb. Malfunctioning smoke detectors rounded out the rest of the week’s fire calls, and a tally of the week’s medical calls may be found below.
TUESDAY, JULY 24, 6:21 p.m., 19501 Statesville Road, Hampton Inn, Cornelius – Engine 3 was canceled by the Cornelius Fire Department soon after arriving on the scene of a fire alarm activation.
TUESDAY, JULY 24, 8:54 p.m., 100 Harbour Place Drive – Engine 3 investigated a report of a boat fire or a grass fire located near Lake Norman. Firefighters informed dispatch that the fire may have been in Iredell County after scouring both sides of the interstate near Exit 30 and finding no hazards.
WEDNESDAY, JULY 25, 5:22 a.m., 18929 Elm Row Court, River Run – Engine 2, Engine 3, and Ladder 1 responded to a report of a structure fire. The homeowners reported a strong smell of smoke on the garage side of the house. Firefighters noted a light smell of smoke outside, but no smell inside. Emergency personnel investigated the residence with flashlights and a thermal imaging camera, but found no hazards and could not detect any smoke smell towards the end of their investigation. The homeowners were asked to call 911 again if the smoke smell returned.
THURSDAY, JULY 26, 12:32 a.m., 916 Concord Road – Engine 3 responded to remove a tree limb from the road. Upon arrival, firefighters found that the limb was blocking both lanes of Concord Road and was too large to be removed with the tools available. Emergency personnel were able to remove enough of the limb to open one lane of traffic before turning over the scene to police officers and Town of Davidson maintenance personnel.
THURSDAY, JULY 26, 11:07 a.m., 137 N. Main St., Davidson College Bookstore – Engine 3, Ladder 1, and Rescue 14 investigated a fire alarm activation and found that a smoke detector had accidentally been triggered by construction dust.
THURSDAY, JULY 26, 10:52 p.m., 242 Gamble St., Davidson Cornelius Child Development Center – Engine 3 and Ladder 1 investigated a fire alarm activation but found no hazards. Firefighters determined that the alarm system had malfunctioned and reset the alarm.
FRIDAY, JULY 27, 12:41 p.m., 242 Gamble St., Davidson Cornelius Child Development Center – Engine 1 and Rescue 14 responded to another fire alarm activation at the location that was determined to be caused by a malfunctioning fire alarm system. Firefighters reset the alarm, but a Mecklenburg County Fire Marshal explained that the system would need to be serviced immediately.
FRIDAY, JULY 27, 8:50 p.m., 705 Peninsula Drive – Engine 1 and Ladder 1 investigated a fire alarm activation and learned that rain from a severe thunderstorm had entered the alarm system, causing it to malfunction. Firefighters were unable to reset the alarm system, and no one answered calls to the company that owned the property. Emergency personnel cleared the scene after ensuring that no hazards were present.
SATURDAY, JULY 28, 2:38 p.m., 401 Lavender Bloom Loop, Davidson Point – Engine 3 was canceled while responding to a fire alarm activation.
SUNDAY, JULY 29, 3:41 p.m., 308 Houston St. – Engine 3 and Ladder 1 investigated a carbon monoxide alarm activation and found that a CO detector had malfunctioned. The detector in question was twelve years old, while a new detector that was in use detected no hazards. Firefighters verified the safety of the residence with a portable gas meter before clearing the scene.
SUNDAY, JULY 29, 7:02 p.m., 106 Nelson Lane, Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity, Davidson College – Engine 3 investigated a fire alarm activation and found no hazards. Firefighters located the malfunctioning smoke detector and reset the alarm system.
SUNDAY, JULY 29, 7:02 p.m., 106 Nelson Lane, Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity, Davidson College – Engine 3 and Rescue 14 returned to the SigEp house and found that the same smoke detector had malfunctioned, triggering the fire alarm. Firefighters removed the broken smoke detector and asked campus police officers to inform the Davidson College Physical Plant of the problem.
SUNDAY, JULY 29, 10:00 p.m., 18516 Rollingdale Lane, River Run – Engine 3 responded to a carbon monoxide alarm activation. Firefighters inspected the house with a portable gas meter and found no hazards present. The homeowner replaced the malfunctioning CO detector.
MEDICAL CALLS, JULY 24-29
Following are the medical calls that the Davidson Fire Department responded to last week. The release of addresses and other details related to these calls has been restricted in order to ensure patients’ privacy.
- Breathing problem: 1
- Chest pain: 1
- Hemorrhage/Laceration: 1
- Traffic accident: 1
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
DavidsonNews.net often delivers breaking fire and police news via the Twitter social networking service. Follow us @DavNews (http://www.twitter.com/davnews)