Firefighters stayed busy with malfunctioning and overheating appliances this week, including an air-conditioning unit whose motor burned out and a washing machine that leaked into a residence’s fire alarm system. PSNC Energy workers were called after construction personnel ruptured a 3/4-inch natural gas line on the Davidson College campus, and a light pole near the Chambers Building ignited the surrounding vegetation after it became too hot. Duke Energy technicians responded to inspect the light pole, which also caught fire. Details on these stories and more (along with a tally of the week’s medical calls) may be found below.
FRIDAY, JUNE 22, 8:32 p.m., 313 N. Downing St., McConnell neighborhood – Engine 1 and Ladder 1 responded to a possible structure fire and found smoke coming from an outside air conditioning unit. Firefighters disconnected the unit after determining that a motor inside of it had burned, causing the smoke conditions. No smoke or other hazards were present inside the house, and the homeowner was advised to consult an air conditioning technician to have the unit repaired.
SUNDAY, JUNE 24, 5:29 p.m., N.C. 73 at Ramah Church Road – Engine 1 responded to an accident involving three vehicles but was canceled by North Meck Rescue soon after arriving on the scene.
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 27, 6:51 a.m., 410 Ridge Road, Davidson College Apartments – Engine 1 and Rescue 8 investigated a pull station activation on the third floor and determined that the alarm had been triggered due to a system malfunction. Firefighters informed Davidson College Physical Plant personnel.
THURSDAY, JUNE 28, 3:26 p.m., 401 Ashby Drive – Engine 1 and Rescue 14 investigated a fire alarm activation and learned that water from a malfunctioning washing machine had leaked through the floor and into a smoke detector below, triggering the alarm. Firefighters assisted the homeowner by removing the smoke detector and advising the residents to have the alarm system inspected after the floor dried.
THURSDAY, JUNE 28, 4:34 p.m., I-77 at Exit 31 – Engine 1 and Rescue 14 were canceled by the Mount Mourne incident commander while responding to a motor vehicle collision with injuries.
THURSDAY, JUNE 28, 7:18 p.m., 534 Westside Terrace – Engine 1 investigated a report of a water problem and found that a Charlotte-Mecklenburg Utilities Department crew had opened a fire hydrant to flush out the line. No problems found.
FRIDAY, JUNE 29, 8:19 a.m., 115 Patterson Court Circle, Davidson College – Engine 1 and Ladder 1 responded to a gas leak and found that construction personnel had severed a 3/4-inh gas line. PSNC Energy repair technicians were requested. Firefighters kept a safe perimeter around the leak until the line could be clamped.
FRIDAY, JUNE 29, 10:29 a.m., 21300 Davidson Street, Lake Norman YMCA, Cornelius – Engine 1 investigated a fire alarm activation with the Cornelius Fire Department and found that a child had pulled an alarm box. Firefighters quickly reset the alarm system and cleared the scene without incident.
FRIDAY, JUNE 29, 3:40 p.m., Davidson-Concord Road at Sam Furr Road – Engine 1 and Rescue 14 investigated a report of an outside fire but found no hazards upon arriving at the reported location.
SATURDAY, JUNE 30, 1:45 p.m., 18223 Capstan Greens Road, Cornelius – Engine 1 and Ladder 1 were canceled while responding to a fire alarm activation in Cornelius.
SUNDAY, JULY 1, 6:49 p.m., 18905 Riverwest Court, River Run neighborhood – A resident called 911 upon arriving home to report that a smoke detector in his house was sounding and that a light smell of smoke was present. Engine 1 and Ladder 1 investigated, but no alarms were sounding upon firefighters’ arrival. Emergency personnel inspected the house thoroughly with a thermal imaging camera and found no hazards.
SUNDAY, JULY 1, 10:56 p.m., 100 D Road, Chambers Building, Davidson College – Engine 1 investigated a report of an outside fire and found a light pole on fire along with the surrounding vegetation. Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and determined that the light fixture had become hot and ignited plastic lenses, which fell to the ground and lit the surrounding vegetation. Davidson College Campus Police contacted the power company to inspect the light pole.
MONDAY, JULY 2, 9:04 a.m., 133 Glasgow Street, Tomlinson Dormitory, Davidson College – Engine 1 and Ladder 1 investigated a fire alarm activation and found that a smoke detector was triggered by steam from a shower. Firefighters quickly rest the alarm system.
MONDAY, JULY 2, 9:55 a.m., 20227 Heights Way, Cornelius – Engine 1 was canceled while responding to a fire alarm activation in Cornelius.
MONDAY, JULY 2, 7:50 p.m., 16960 Summers Walk Boulevard – Engine 1 and Rescue 14 responded to a report of a propane fire. Upon arrival, firefighters learned that the homeowner had already extinguished the fire, which had started in the propane cylinder connection of a backyard grill.
MONDAY, JULY 2, 8:01 p.m., 108 Nelson Lane, Davidson College – Engine 1 and Rescue 14 investigated a fire alarm activation and found that a smoke detector had malfunctioned.
MEDICAL CALLS, JUNE 19-JULY 3
Following are the medical calls that the Davidson Fire Department responded to last week. The release of addresses and other details related to these calls has been restricted in order to ensure patients’ privacy.
- Breathing problem: 2
- Chest pain: 3
- Fall victim: 2
- Hemorrhage/Laceration: 1
- Psychiatric problem: 1
- Sick person: 2
- Stroke/CVA: 3
- Traffic accident: 2
- Unknown problem: 1
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
DavidsonNews.net often delivers breaking fire and police news via the Twitter social networking service. Follow us @DavNews (http://www.twitter.com/davnews)