Firefighters investigated a number of smoke scares this week, including a kitchen fire reported by a neighbor at the Oak Hill Apartments on Beaty Street. Also this week, a Davidson College elevator’s hydraulic pump began to smoke after it overheated, and the contents of a dumpster ignited off Ridge Road. Traffic accidents and malfunctioning alarms rounded out the fire calls. A tally of the week’s medical calls also may be found below.
TUESDAY, JUNE 5, I-77 northbound at Exit 28 – Engine 1, Ladder 1, and Rescue 14 were canceled while responding to a traffic accident on the interstate.
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 6, 3:17 a.m., 200 Ridge Road, Davidson College – Engine 1 investigated a fire alarm activation in a storage warehouse and found that one smoke detector had malfunctioned during a heavy rain storm. No hazards were present and firefighters quickly reset the alarm and cancelled any further emergency response.
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 6, 7:21 a.m., 410 Ridge Road, Davidson College – Engine 1 investigated a fire alarm activation and found that an elevator’s hydraulic pump had overheated, causing the unit to smoke and triggering a smoke detector. Firefighters shut down the elevator’s power supply and removed ventilated the elevator control room. Davidson College maintenance personnel were advised of the mechanical problem and the elevator was taken out of service until it could be fixed.
FRIDAY, JUNE 8, 8:13 p.m., 209 Ridge Road, Davidson College – Firefighters extinguished a dumpster fire that began when smoldering embers were accidentally placed among other flammable materials.
SATURDAY, JUNE 9, 19116 Statesville Road, Cornelius – Engine 1 stood by a nearby hydrant while Cornelius firefighters investigated a water flow alarm.
SATURDAY, JUNE 9, 19901 Holiday Lane, Days Inn Lake Norman, Cornelius – Engine 1 was canceled by the Cornelius incident commander prior to arriving at a fire alarm activation.
SUNDAY, JUNE 10, 839 Beaty Street, Oak Hill Apartments – Engine 1 and Ladder 1 investigated a fire alarm activation. Firefighters spoke with a neighbor who said that they could hear a smoke detector sounding and smell food burning in an adjacent apartment. Emergency personnel had to force their way into the apartment, where they found moderate smoke and charred food that had been left on a hot kitchen stove in a pan with a lid. No fire was present, but firefighters turned off the stove and ventilated the apartment before turning it over to the property manager. A similar incident occurred over Memorial Day weekend, but the fire suppression system mounted over the stove was not triggered this time because the charred food did not produce a flame. Read about the Memorial Day weekend incident here: “Automatic extinguisher stops Memorial Day kitchen fire”
MEDICAL CALLS, JUNE 5-10
Following are the medical calls that the Davidson Fire Department responded to last week. The release of addresses and other details related to these calls has been restricted in order to ensure patients’ privacy.
- Chest pain: 1
- Fall victim: 1
- Hemorrhage/Laceration: 1
- Ingestion/Poisoning: 1
- Psychiatric problem: 1
- Sick person: 1
- Traffic accident: 2
- Unconscious/Fainting: 1
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
DavidsonNews.net often delivers breaking fire and police news via the Twitter social networking service. Follow us @DavNews (http://www.twitter.com/davnews)