Firefighters responded to two gas leaks caused by severed natural gas lines on Monday, including one at The Pines at Davidson in which MI-Connection cable workers cut a 1-inch line. Firefighters helped to secure safe areas around the sites while gas company technicians quickly contained the leaks. In a Mock Circle apartment over the weekend, a fan motor inside an HVAC unit caused a haze of smoke. And the driver of a Subaru was transported to Lake Norman Regional Medical Center after running off of the road near the Barger Farm on Concord Road. Details on these incidents and more (along with a tally of the week’s medical calls) may be found below.
TUESDAY, MAY 29, 3:00 p.m., 429 N. Main St., Davidson College Eco-House – Engine 1 and Ladder 1 investigated a fire alarm activation and found that a smoke detector had been triggered by dust from a construction project. Firefighters quickly reset the alarm and cleared the scene without incident.
FRIDAY, JUNE 1, 8:11 a.m., 1335 Davidson-Concord Road – Engine 1 and Ladder 1 responded to a single-vehicle accident in which a driver lost control of her car and ran off the road, through a fence, and into a stand of pine trees. A Davidson police officer witnessed the incident and called for assistance. One patient was transported to Lake Norman Regional Medical Center by the responding Medic ambulance. See the original story and photos here: “Car runs off Concord Road near roundabout”
SUNDAY, JUNE 3, 10:16 p.m., 108 Mock Circle – Engine 1 and Ladder 1 investigated a fire alarm activation and found a slight haze of smoke inside of an apartment. Firefighters identified the source of the smoke to an HVAC unit and found that the fan’s motor had short-circuited and melted. Emergency personnel disconnected the air conditioning unit’s power and ventilated the apartment before advising the property manager to have the HVAC unit repaired prior to using it again.
MONDAY, JUNE 4, 4:18 p.m., 400 Avinger Lane, The Pines at Davidson - Engine 1 responded to a natural gas leak and found that MI-Connection technicians had cut a natural gas line approximately 1-inch in diameter. Firefighters established a safe area around the severed line, charged a hose line in case a fire ignited, and notified PSNC Energy of the incident. PSNC technicians responded and repaired the damaged gas line.
MONDAY, JUNE 4, 4:40 p.m., 822 Cotton Gin Alley – Engine 1 and Ladder 1 investigated an unidentified odor inside of a residence. Firefighters checked the structure with a gas monitor and found no hazards before helping the resident ventilate the house.
MONDAY, JUNE 4, 4:50 p.m., 829 Concord Road – Engine 3 responded to a severed natural gas line and found that PSNC Energy technicians were already on the scene. The gas leak was quickly contained.
MEDICAL CALLS, MAY 29 – JUNE 4
Following are the medical calls Davidson Fire Department responded to last week. The release of addresses and other details related to these calls has been restricted in order to ensure patients’ privacy.
- Back pain: 1
- Chest pain: 1
- Convulsions/Seizure: 1
- Diabetic problem: 1
- Fall victim: 3
- Hemorrhage/Laceration: 1
- Psychiatric problem: 1
- Sick person: 1
- Stroke/CVA: 1
- Traffic accident: 1
- Traumatic injury: 1
- Unconscious/Fainting: 1
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
DavidsonNews.net often delivers breaking fire and police news via the Twitter social networking service. Follow us @DavNews (http://www.twitter.com/davnews)