Firefighters responded to a several alarm malfunctions over the past week, as well as an oven fire on Pine Road and a two-vehicle collision on I-77. Emergency workers helped clear a large tree limb that was blocking North Main Street, and a kitten was rescued from a storm drain on Kiser Corner Lane in Summer’s Walk. The kitten was left with Davidson Police.
A homeowner with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning on Davidson Gateway Drive prompted an emergency response, but no CO or other hazards were found and the resident refused evaluation by a Medic ambulance. Finally, a Davidson College student triggered a smoke detector in Tomlinson Dormitory after placing a pair of “glow in the dark” sunglasses on top of a hot fluorescent light bulb, causing the sunglasses to melt and smoke.
Details on the incidents and more (along with a tally of the week’s medical calls) may be found below.
MONDAY, MAY 14, 4:32 a.m., 210 Avinger Lane – Engine 1 investigated a residential smoke detector activation. The homeowners were not home at the time, but no smoke or flames were detected upon looking into the house and inspecting it from outside.
MONDAY, MAY 14, 8:48 a.m., Interstate-77 at Mile Marker 29 – Engine 1 and Ladder 1 responded to a motor vehicle collision involving two cars on the interstate.
TUESDAY, MAY 15, 8:10 a.m., 500 block of North Main Street – Firefighters removed a large tree limb that had fallen and was blocking the road.
TUESDAY, MAY 15, 9:22 p.m., 15854 Kiser Corner Lane, Summer’s Walk – Firefighters on Engine 1 helped rescue a small kitten from a storm drain. The kitten was left in the custody of Davidson Police.
THURSDAY, MAY 17, 9:54 a.m., 535 Pine Road – Engine 1, Ladder 1, and Rescue 14 responded to a possible structure fire and learned from the homeowner that there had been a fire in the oven. Firefighters found no fire upon investigating, but emergency workers unplugged the oven and told the homeowner to have it inspected before using it again.
FRIDAY, MAY 18, 12:34 p.m., 541 Griffith Street – Engine 1 investigated a fire alarm activation and found no hazards present.
FRIDAY, MAY 18, 3:11 p.m., 415 Davidson Gateway Drive – Engine 1 investigated a carbon monoxide alarm activation in which a resident also reported having symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Firefighters found no alarms sounding, however, and the homeowner said that his carbon monoxide alarm never sounded. The homeowner noticed a strange smell in his apartment after being gone for one week and began feeling lightheaded soon after. Emergency workers found no abnormal readings with a gas monitor and no sources of carbon monoxide inside the apartment or its attached garage. The apartment’s CO detector was found to be nine years old, and the resident was advised to replace it with a newer model just in case. The resident declined evaluation by a Medic ambulance.
SATURDAY, MAY 19, 2:39 p.m., 125 Harbour Place Drive, Homewood Suites – Engine 1 and Ladder 1 investigated a water flow alarm and found that the alarm system had malfunctioned. The alarm was quickly reset and the hotel manager was advised to have the system inspected by the alarm company.
SATURDAY, MAY 19, 2:39 p.m., 19300 Statesville Road, Cornelius – Engine 1 and Ladder 1 were canceled by the Cornelius incident commander while responding to a commercial fire alarm activation.
SATURDAY, MAY 19, 5:45 p.m., 133 Glasgow Street, Tomlinson Dormitory, Davidson College – Engine 1, Ladder 1, and Cornelius Engine 3 investigated a smoke detector activation and found a light haze of smoke on the first floor, along with a strong odor of burning plastic. Firefighters found that the haze and odor originated from a student’s room, where a student had placed a pair of “glow in the dark” sunglasses on top of a fluorescent light, causing the sunglasses to melt and smoke. Emergency workers reset the alarm system and removed the sunglasses from the light before discussing principles of fire prevention and safety with the student.
SUNDAY, MAY 20, 12:03 a.m., 20125 N. Main Street, Food Lion, Cornelius – Engine 1 was cancelled by the Cornelius incident commander while responding to a fire alarm activation at a grocery store. Cornelius firefighters informed dispatchers that the alarm system had malfunctioned.
MEDICAL CALLS, MAY 14-20
Following are the medical calls Davidson Fire Department responded to last week. The release of addresses and other details related to these calls has been restricted in order to ensure patients’ privacy.
- Chest pain: 1
- Fall victim: 2
- Ingestion/Poisoning: 2
- Motor vehicle accident: 1
- Sick person: 2
- Unknown problem: 1
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
DavidsonNews.net often delivers breaking fire and police news via the Twitter social networking service. Follow us @DavNews (http://www.twitter.com/davnews)