Firefighters last week responded to a report of a gasoline leak at the marina on Portside Drive in Davidson Landing. Employees at Archer’s Towing called 911 when a vehicle began to smoke after its battery arced in a storage area, and the Mecklenburg County fire marshal’s office was called to investigate an illegal outdoor fire on Shearer Street. Davidson firefighters also helped out at a house fire in Cornelius’s Peninsula neighborhood. Details on these stories and more (along with a tally of the week’s medical calls) may be found below.
FRIDAY, MAR. 30, 9:42 p.m., 712 John Ross Way – Engine 1, Ladder 1, and Rescue 14 responded to a cooking fire and found that an unintentional fire had ignited in an apartment’s kitchen. The fire was contained to the pot in which it started and was extinguished prior to firefighters’ arrival. Very little smoke damage was found, but the resident was advised to report the incident to the property manager.
SATURDAY, MAR. 31, 10:35 a.m., 433 S. Main St., Archer’s Towing – Engine 1 investigated a possible vehicle fire. Employees told firefighters that a vehicle in the storage area had begun to smoke from under the hood. Emergency personnel cut the vehicle’s battery cables after determining that an electrical arc had caused the problem.
SATURDAY, MAR. 31, 7:24 p.m., 604 Portside Drive – Engine 1 investigated a possible gasoline like from a boat at the marina and found that a boat had leaked a small amount of hydraulic fluid prior to firefighters’ arrival. Emergency personnel referred the incident to Davidson Police and North Carolina Fish and Wildlife officials after determining that the incident occurred on the waterway and that no additional containable environmental hazards were present.
WEDNESDAY, APR. 4, 12:40 p.m., 302 Concord Road – Engine 1, Ladder 1, and Rescue 14 responded to a motor vehicle collision. No injuries were reported. (See our coverage, April 4, 2012, “Nobody hurt in wreck at Concord Road crosswalk.”)
WEDNESDAY, APR. 4, 6:34 p.m., 800 block of Shearer Street – Engine 1 investigated a possible illegal outdoor fire and found a trash pile that appeared to have been burning sometime before firefighters’ arrival. The Mecklenburg County fire marshal’s office is investigating.
THURSDAY, APR. 5, 9:48 a.m., 19720 Jetton Road, Panache Beverage, Cornelius – Engine 1 assisted Cornelius and Huntersville units with a commercial fire alarm activation. Davidson units stood by the closest hydrant until the alarm was determined to be due to a malfunction and could be reset.
FRIDAY, APR. 6, 9:01 p.m., 18327 Mary Ardrey Circle, Cornelius – Engine 1 and Rescue 14 performed salvage operations and served as a rapid intervention team at a house fire in Cornelius. Firefighters covered furniture and other valuables on the first floor with tarps in order to prevent smoke and water from damaging them while Cornelius units worked to control the fire on the second floor. Read the original story here: “Fire that started in fireplace damages home on Mary Ardrey Circle”
MEDICAL CALLS, MAR. 29-APR. 8
Following are the medical calls Davidson Fire Department responded to last week. The release of addresses and other details related to these calls has been restricted in order to ensure patients’ privacy.
- Chest pain: 2
- Fall victim: 3
- Stroke/CVA: 1
- Unconscious/Fainting: 1
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
DavidsonNews.net often delivers breaking fire and police news via the Twitter social networking service. Follow us @DavNews (http://www.twitter.com/davnews)