Firefighters over the past week investigated several natural gas emergencies. Emergency personnel helped PSNC Energy technicians clamp off a ruptured natural gas line on Walnut Street last Friday and investigated an odor of natural gas on St. Alban’s Lane Tuesday. On Thursday, Davidson units provided standby coverage for Cornelius firefighters while they responded to another gas leak, in the Heritage Green neighborhood. On Tuesday, one patient was take to the hospital after a two vehicle collision on I-77 north of Davidson, and steam from a shower triggered a smoke alarm in Davidson College’s Tomlinson Dormitory. Details on these calls and more (along with a tally of the week’s medical calls) may be found below.
THURSDAY, MARCH 15, 8:13 p.m., 409 Ridge Road, Davidson College Student Apartments – Engine 1 investigated a fire alarm activation and found that the alarm had been triggered when a student attempted to disconnect a smoke detector that had been beeping for a number of days. Firefighters reinstalled the smoke detector and reset the alarm system. The student was told to have the malfunctioning smoke detector checked by the Davidson College maintenance personnel.
FRIDAY, MARCH 16, 2:11 p.m.19216 Meridian St., Cornelius – Engine 1 staged nearby while Cornelius firefighters investigated an outside fire, but all Davidson units were quickly released by the incident commander.
SATURDAY, MARCH 17, 2:44 p.m., 449 O Henry Avenue, St. Alban’s neighborhood – Engine 1 assisted a homeowner with a malfunctioning alarm system. Firefighters inspected the house with a gas meter and determined that no hazardous gases were present before helping a homeowner fix his alarm system with instructions from the alarm company over the phone.
SUNDAY, MARCH 18, 12:35 p.m., 101 Martin Court, Davidson College Student Apartments – Students had already evacuated the apartment complex when Engine 1 and Ladder 1 arrived to investigate a fire alarm activation. Firefighters found that a smoke alarm had been triggered by steam from a shower and allowed students to reenter the building once the alarm system was reset.
TUESDAY, MARCH 20, 11:37 a.m., 19622 Meridian Street, Cornelius – Engine 1 was canceled while responding to a fire alarm activation with Cornelius firefighters.
TUESDAY, MARCH 20, 9:57 p.m., 606 Davidson Run Lane, off June Washam Road – Engine 1, Ladder 1, and Rescue 8 investigated a fire alarm in a residence following a possible lightning strike nearby. Firefighters found the entire street leading up to the house without power, and the homeowner told emergency personnel that she had seen lightning strike nearby just before power went out and the alarm system began to beep. No hazards were found after the house was checked with a thermal imaging camera, and the homeowner was advised to have a technician from the alarm company inspect the system since it had likely experienced a power surge. The homeowner agreed to call 911 again if she smelled smoke or detected any hazards.
TUESDAY, MARCH 20, 10:32 p.m., 17901 John Connor Road, Cornelius – Engine 1 and Engine 3 responded to a working fire after Cornelius and Huntersville firefighters arrived on the scene and confirmed that there was a fire in the attic of a two-story, single family house. The Cornelius incident commander assigned Davidson Engine 1 to be a “rapid intervention team” in case a firefighter became trapped or injured inside of the house. Davidson firefighters from Engine 1 placed ladders against second-story windows and other access points while Engine 3 conducted a search of the second floor. Firefighters used tarps and other protective coverings to help safeguard family valuables inside of the home, then ventilated the roof above the fire in order to expose possible embers that remained in the attic. A Medic ambulance staged at the scene, but no injuries were reported. Red Cross personnel provided water for emergency workers and assisted the homeowner during the incident. All Davidson units cleared the scene after approximately two hours upon being released by the Cornelius incident commander. See our report on CorneliusNews.net: “Lightning strike sets fire to John Connor Rd. home”
THURSDAY, MAR. 22, 2:06 p.m., 519 Westside Terrace - Firefighters on Engine 1 assisted a homeowner with checking her smoke detectors.
THURSDAY, MAR. 22, 8:13 p.m., 103 Martin Court, Davidson College Student Apartments – Engine 1 responded to assist students who were stuck in an elevator due to an equipment malfunction. Firefighters worked with Davidson College Campus Police to reset the elevator and recall it to the first floor, freeing the previously trapped occupants.
FRIDAY, MAR. 23, 8:45 a.m., 518 Walnut St. – Engine 1 and Ladder 1 assisted technicians from PSNC Energy with a severed natural gas line. One crew of firefighters set up a fire hose to protect against a possible ignition of the ruptured gas line while another crew helped clamp off the line until it could be repaired. Emergency personnel monitored the area for elevated gas levels throughout the incident in order to ensure that no dangers to surrounding homes were present.
SATURDAY, MAR. 24, 1:50 p.m., 133 Glasgow St., Tomlinson Dormitory, Davidson College – Engine 1 and Ladder 1 investigated a fire alarm activation. Firefighters found that steam from a shower had triggered a smoke alarm. Emergency personnel reset the alarm system and removed the smoke detector before notifying the Davidson College Physical Plant of the incident.
TUESDAY, MAR. 27, 1:10 p.m., I-77 southbound mile 29 – Engine 1 and Ladder 1 responded with Cornelius Engine 4 and Ladder 4 to a traffic accident involving two vehicles. Firefighters assisted the responding Medic ambulance with treating and loading one patient. No hazards to the public were found on the scene.
TUESDAY, MAR. 27, 10:10 p.m., Caldwell Lane at Saint Alban’s Lane – A resident of the St. Alban’s neighborhood called the fire department directly to report an odor of natural gas outside. Engine 1 investigated and detected a very faint odor momentarily, but found no hazardous gas readings on a gas meter. No sources of dangerous gases were found, either, and emergency personnel advised the caller to call 911 if the smell persisted or became stronger over time.
THURSDAY, MAR. 29, 12:15 p.m., 19729 S. Main Street, Cornelius Fire Department, Station 1 – Davidson Engine 1 and Rescue 14 provided coverage in Cornelius while Cornelius firefighters managed a natural gas leak off Celestine Lane, in the Heritage Green neighborhood, off NC 115.
MEDICAL CALLS, MARCH 16-21
Following are the medical calls Davidson Fire Department responded to last week. The release of addresses and other details related to these calls has been restricted in order to ensure patients’ privacy.
- Abdominal pain: 1
- Assault: 1
- Cardiac arrest: 1
- Fall victim: 2
- Heart problems: 3
- Hemorrhage/Laceration: 1
- Ingestion/Poisoning: 1
- Sick person: 1
- Traffic accident: 1
- Unconscious/Fainting: 1
MEDICAL CALLS, MAR. 22-29
- Abdominal pain: 1
- Breathing Problem: 2
- Fall victim, 2
- Headache: 2
- Hemorrhage/Laceration: 2
- Psychiatric problem: 1
- Traffic accident: 1
- Traumatic injury: 2
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
DavidsonNews.net often delivers breaking fire and police news via the Twitter social networking service. Follow us @DavNews (http://www.twitter.com/davnews)
March 30, 2012, CorneliusNews.net Fire Calls, Fire crews respond to equipment fire, gas leak” – One of the calls was an incident at Discovery Place Kids in Huntersville Friday morning.