This week, firefighters struggled to completely extinguish a fire involving ten large hay bales that were stacked on a truck trailer. A tractor was called in to help remove and spread out the hay so that firefighters could adequately access and control the fire, but two additional reports of smoke coming from the remaining hay were received throughout the afternoon. Firefighters ultimately used a water cannon to saturate the hay and the surrounding area to ensure that any embers were completely extinguished.
In addition, an apartment resident called 911 after a pressure washer caused an outside electrical outlet to arc and smoke. Firefighters ensured that no fire was present in the wall surrounding the outlet and that the outlet’s breaker was in the “off” position. Details on these stories and more, along with a tally of the week’s medical calls, may be found below.
FRIDAY, JUNE 10, 10:21 a.m., Beaty Street – Engine 1 and Engine 4 found a flat-bed trailer with ten large round hay bales burning on it after being dispatched to a vehicle fire. The driver of the truck hauling the trailer said that he was driving down the road when he was notified that his load was on fire. The driver then disconnected his truck from the trailer. Firefighters knocked down the fire while the truck driver called for a tractor to assist. Upon arrival of the tractor, the bales were removed from the trailer and spread out, whereupon firefighters extinguished the remaining embers with water and foam.
FRIDAY, JUNE 10, 1:20 p.m., Beaty Street – Engine 1 and Engine 3 responded to the scene of the previous hay bale fire for a report of smoke in the area. Firefighters found no hazards upon investigating and cleared the scene without incident.
FRIDAY, JUNE 10, 4:13 p.m., Beaty Street – Engine 1 responded to the scene of the previous hay bale fire for another report of smoke in the area. Firefighters did find a small amount of smoke issuing from hay that had been left at the scene, and Engine 1’s deck water cannon was used to completely saturate the area in order to prevent further incidents.
FRIDAY, JUNE 10, 5:57 p.m., 21126 Catawba Avenue – Engine 1 assisted Cornelius firefighters with a fire alarm activation. Davidson firefighters staged for an assignment upon arriving at the scene but were released by Cornelius command prior to receiving an assignment.
FRIDAY, JUNE 10, 9:15 p.m., 13400 Robert Walker Drive – Engine 1 and Ladder 1 responded to a residential fire alarm activation in which the homeowner stated that he accidentally activated the alarm while changing its batteries. No hazards were found and all emergency units cleared the scene without incident.
MONDAY, JUNE 13, 11:53 a.m., 921 Northeast Drive – Engine 1 and Ladder 1 responded to a possible electrical fire in an apartment. Upon arrival, the homeowner stated that her deck was being pressure-washed when the spray was directed at an exterior outlet. The outlet shorted out and started to arc and smoke. Firefighters inspected the wall surrounding the outlet with a thermal imaging camera and found no hazards, then ensured that the outlet’s breaker was in the “off” position. The homeowner was advised not to reset the breaker until the outlet had been repaired by an electrician.
FRIDAY, JUNE 17, 1:06 a.m., Catawba Avenue at Smith Drive – Engine 1 was cancelled by the incident commander while responding to a possible structure fire in Cornelius.
MEDICAL CALLS, JUNE 10-16
Following are the medical calls Davidson Fire Department responded to last week. The department says patient privacy laws prohibit public release of addresses or other details.
- Fall victim, 1
- Stroke/CVA, 1
- Unconscious/Fainting, 1
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
DavidsonNews.net often delivers breaking fire and police news via the Twitter social networking service. Follow us @DavNews (http://www.twitter.com/davnews)